There are five Galleries in the Vatican:
– The Lapidary Gallery, home to the richest lapidary collection in the Vatican, occupies the southern part of the long corridor created to link the Vatican Palace with the Belvedere Palace. The curator of these galleries was Gaetano Marini.
More than 3400 “pages of stone” spread over 48 walls.
– The New Wing of Chiaramonti Museum, absolute masterpiece of Neoclassical Art, hosts the ancient statuary that was requisitioned during the Napoleonic campaigns and then returned by the French in 1816.
– Gallery of the Candelabra takes its name from the massive marble candelabra which, together with the coloured marble columns, divides the exhibition area into six sections.
– Gallery of Tapestries, features Flemish tapestries made in Brussels from the workshop of Pieter van Aelst at the time of Clement VI.
– The Gallery of Maps, is situated along the itinerary to the Sistine Chapel. This gallery contains many geographical details so much so that its value can be appreciated from a symbolic, geographical and artistic point of view.